Pregnancy and childbirth often bring about significant changes to a woman’s body, leaving her dissatisfied with the appearance of her breasts, abdomen, and other areas. A Mommy Makeover (MMO) offers a tailored combination of surgical procedures to restore your body to its pre-pregnancy figure.
Typically, a Mommy Makeover includes a tummy tuck, breast surgery like augmentation, reduction, or lift, liposuction of various areas, and sometimes vaginal rejuvenation such as labial reduction or fat transfer. Dr. Capek can also address common post-pregnancy issues like small hernias in the belly button.
While ‘Mommy Makeover’ is a popular term, it can apply to changes after weight loss and aging as well. With women’s healthspan increasing, ‘Menopausal’ makeovers are becoming more popular and consists of a similar surgical approach.
In your consultation with Dr. Capek, you will collaborate to determine the recommended procedures to optimize your body and achieve your goals.
If you are struggling to return to your pre-pregnancy figure after maintaining a healthy lifestyle through diet and exercise, a Mommy Makeover could be right for you. Childbirth, weight loss and aging/menopause, may have left you with the following characteristics:
- Your breasts have become much larger and are out of proportion with the rest of your body. You may be experiencing back, neck or shoulder pain.
- Your breast are sagging or have ‘deflated’ with loss of volume
- Your areolae are stretched out and nipples are drooping or too prominent
- Your tummy has loose skin and stretch marks and your waistline has become thick and undefined.
- You had a C-section and now you have areas of fat hanging over your surgical scar.
- You have excess fat in the love handle area as well as in the hips and thighs.
- You vaginal area looks deflated or the inner labia are enlarged and thinned out.
- You have signs of aging in your face, neck and around the eyes.
A Mommy (or Menopausal) Makeover is designed to address all of these concerns, often during one combination procedure, saving you recovery time and money. This is major surgery, and as always, safety is our number one concern so your health must be optimized to be considered a good candidate.
Dr. Capek advises patients as follows:
- You should not be obese, especially with excess fat internally around your organs (visceral fat). Weight loss prior to MMO surgery may be required to minimize the risk of serious complications and to optimize your cosmetic outcome.
- You cannot smoke for at least 6 weeks before or 6 weeks after this surgery. Major wound healing problems and other life-threatening complications are much more likely in smokers.
- You should be done having children because pregnancy after tummy tuck or breast surgery surgery is likely to compromise the aesthetic benefits you achieved. However, a tummy tuck will not interfere with you having a future, safe pregnancy if you choose to do so.
- You don’t have any serious or uncontrolled health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma or COPD and others.
- You can accept the trade-off of permanent scars for the major shape improvement you are likely to see.
Realistic expectations of the results are also important and Dr. Capek will review these with you at your consultation appointment.
Dr. Lucie Capek offers advanced cosmetic plastic surgery from the unique perspective of a female plastic surgeon. Since 1996, she has been serving patients in the Capital District from Albany, Saratoga, Schenectady, and Troy, NY. She is known for using the latest technology to perform body contouring, breast surgery, and facial cosmetic surgery. She personalizes every treatment to give each patient the most natural-looking results, enhancing their beauty and increasing their self-confidence. Above all, her practice is dedicated to your health and wellness. Dr. Capek understands that your beauty and confidence is about more than just your appearance. To schedule your first consultation, contact Lucie Capek, MD.LEARN MORE
Mommy makeover surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia either our QuadA-accredited office-based surgery suite, Capek Surgical Arts, or a hospital operating room. Since this is often a longer surgery, Dr. Capek may recommend the hospital setting and an overnight observation, where you will have one-on-one nursing care and lots of TLC.
During your operation, Dr. Capek will make incisions based on the type of cosmetic surgery procedure combination selected for your particular needs. This is usually on the abdomen and breasts, with small liposuction incisions on the hips, flanks, or thighs. For most of these plastic surgery procedures, Dr. Capek uses the state-of-the-art HARMONIC® scalpel, an ultrasound instrument that has been shown to be gentler on the tissues and results in less pain after surgery. For the liposuction portion of your procedure, she may use the VASER Liposelection or SmartLipo, and PAL to optimize your body contours. Explore all the details of these procedures on our site!
Procedures in 3d
Recovery time is very dependent on the procedures you undergo and your pre-surgical fitness level, but typically MMO has a significant amount of downtime.
After your procedure, you will go home with drains (likely), and dressed in under garments such as a bra, girdle, or binder which is applied before you wake up. You can shower 2 days after surgery, and most people go back to sedentary work after about two weeks.
Two weeks after surgery, you should be moving around and walking frequently during the day, but strenuous activities are restricted. Full recovery, when you are allowed to resume core abdominal exercises and high-impact exercise like running, takes about eight weeks. Dr. Capek and her staff will give you detailed instructions to follow after your procedure, and their careful monitoring and care will help you recover as quickly as possible.
In general, significant complications associated with MMO are infrequent, and the satisfaction rate among patients is high. Dr. Capek is an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon and has performed hundreds of Mommy Makeover procedures in accredited operating rooms with the collaboration of board-certified anesthesiologists. However, all surgeries carry some associated risks and complications. These may include bleeding or infection, wound healing problems, seromas (fluid collections), poor-quality scars, blood clots, and reactions to anesthesia. You can help to minimize the risks of surgery by following Dr. Capek’s recommendations and aftercare instructions.
CAPEK SURGICAL ARTS
Dr. Capek is pleased to offer her patients an intimate, comfortable and discreet surgical experience at Capek Surgical Arts (CSA), her state-of-the-art Quad A accredited operating suite right here in Latham, NY. You can undergo your procedure under the expert care of board-certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Capek and her exceptional team of anesthesia and clinical staff without having to go to a hospital or surgery center.. Cae you can expect with Dr. Capek and her team.LEARN MORE
Patients throughout the Capital District areas of New York trust board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Lucie Capek to perform their mommy makeover surgery. Many of our patients also travel from New York City, Vermont, Massachusetts and beyond to receive her skilled and compassionate care.
Make your consultation appointment with Dr. Capek today to find out more! Our office is just 9 miles from Schenectady and 5 miles from Troy, New York.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
For more information, schedule your consultation appointment with Dr. Capek today!
⚕ Advanced Cosmetic Surgery
👩🏼⚕️ Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
✨ Boutique Aesthetic Practice & Medspa
💉 MedSpa - @capekmedspa